A Maternity Photo Shoot is a wonderful way to capture and remember a truly magical time in your life. As first-time parents, we really wanted to use our photo shoot as a way for us to make our connection stronger before baby gets here and have some beautiful photos to look back on what has been the most exciting part of our relationship.
The most important part of a photo shoot is finding the right photographer. You don’t necessarily need to pay an arm and a leg for one who specializes in maternity photography, just someone whose portfolio you like and who is willing to take your suggestions and try new things.
In your planning you will need to consider the following to make the most of your photo shoot:
- Consider what season of the year it is.
- For outside photos choose a location that offers a variety of backdrops: buildings with different textures, parks with benches or bodies of water, trees, flowers, etc.
- For inside photos focus on the nursery or a common room in the house where you will spend a lot of time.
- Outfits For You And Your Partner
- Are there any special props or baby items you want to feature in the photos?
- We chose a small tiara for our little girl. You can choose a sentimental item from when you were a baby, an ultrasound photo, or think small baby items like shoes, clothes, blocks that spell baby’s name, a ribbon/bow, small truck, or doll. Get creative here!
- Bring a blanket in case you want to take any photos on the ground. A solid color would probably work best.
- Use what your location has to offer. Look for bridges, arches, benches, trees, rocks, etc and use them in your poses.
My photographer and I used Pinterest beforehand to get ideas for poses. During the shoot she used her creative judgement to pull the ideas that we liked together and use the scenery to our advantage.