This post was created as part of the #EarthMama Blogger Ambassador Campaign in which I am a financially compensated blog ambassador for Earth Mama Angel Baby. All opinions are my own and based on my own experience.
Baby’s skin is so soft, precious and pure. There is just nothing like snuggling my freshly bathed daughter as she gets ready to go to sleep at night.
Do you know what is really in your baby wash? Some of these bad baby products are scary but popular due to clever marketing and big business advertising.
What if the tub was doing more harm than good by adding more bad stuff to your baby’s skin than just washing away dirt. I find it so frustrating that there is such little regulation of personal care products. It is scary that products marketed towards parents to buy for their children are filled with harmful toxins and synthetic ingredients. And it is sad that as Moms we actually need to do research on using safe baby products.
Which baby washes have toxins?
Take a look at one of the most popular baby washes on the market. Their ingredients are right on the website and on the back of every bottle, but few people know what they mean and that they don’t belong on a baby. Because why would anyone market a baby product that is unsafe?
Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-150 Distearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, Polyquaternium-10, Fragrance, Quaternium-15, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide.
WHAT are some of these ingredients? Off hand I know water, citric acid, sodium chloride, and though I can read the word fragrance that is not descriptive of what it is or where it comes from.
I did a little digging at The Environment Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database and here is what you are really washing your baby with when using this baby wash marketed to be used from baby’s hair down to their feet:
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine – Associated with irritation and allergic contact dermatitis – Score of 4 (Moderate Hazard)
- PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate – May cause organ system toxicity – Score of 5 (Moderate Hazard)
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate – Skin, eye, & lung irritant that may also cause organ system toxicity – Score of 3 (Moderate Hazard)
- PEG-150 Distearate – May cause organ system toxicity – Score of 3 (Moderate Hazard)
- Tetrasodium EDTA – May cause organ system toxicity – Score of 2 (Low Hazard)
- Sodium Chloride – Inorganic sea salt – Score of 0 (Low Hazard)
- Polyquaternium-10 – Synthetic but Score of 0 (Low Hazard)
- Fragrance – The company does not need to disclose the ingredients in the fragrance. The cosmetics database scores “Fragrance” as a High Hazard with a Score of 8.
- Quaternium-15 – Formaldehyde releaser, Skin, eye & lung irritant, organ system toxicity – Score of 8 -(High Hazard)
- Citric Acid – Score of 2 (Low Hazard) – But I’m willing to bet money on it being derived from genetically modified (GMO) corn
- Sodium Hydroxide – Organ system toxicity, skin, eye & lung irritant – Score of 3 (Moderate Hazard)
SCARY STUFF! Adding all of those synthetic ingredients and hazardous chemicals on to my baby is NOT an option. Parents NEED to know that there are completely safe options out there where you can actually read and understand what you are putting on your baby’s skin (and your own skin for that matter).
What makes up a safe baby product?
Earth Mama Angel Baby is one of those amazing companies that truly wants to provide a safe and quality product to consumers.
For comparison lets look up the ingredients of Angel Baby Shampoo & Body Wash in Natural Orange Vanilla on EWG as well:
- Organic Potassium cocoate – potassium salt of Coconut Acid – Score of 0
- Organic Potassium olivate – potassium salt of the fatty acids derived from Olive Oil – Score of 0
- Aloe barbadensis (organic aloe) leaf juice – Score of 0
- Vanilla planifolia (organic vanilla) fruit extract – Score of 0
- Citrus sinensis (organic sweet orange) – Score of 0
- Kosher Vegetable glycerin (palm sourced) – Score of 0
- Potassium citrate – Score of 0
- Butyrospermun parkii (organic shea) butter – Score of 0
- Calendula officinalis (organic calendula) flower extract – Score of 0
It just doesn’t get any safer than a score of 0!
Earth Mama Angel Baby Soaps
Earth Mama Angel Baby has such an amazing collection of soaps and I’ve been lucky enough to try them all out as an Ambassador. They all contain such pure ingredients like those listed above for the Orange Vanilla wash but you can also find it in Non-Scented, Calming Lavender & Happy Mama Ginger Grapefruit. And they all score a 0 on the Skin Deep Database!
The scents are subtle and natural, not overpowering and artificial. The soap is gentle on my baby’s skin and I feel great bathing her with certified organic ingredients. The pump included with each bottle is economical too because there are over 300 pumps of soap so it is not only safe but will last you a long time.
For my daughter I love using the Calming Lavender to help relax her before bed while she gets a tub. For myself I always choose the Happy Mama Ginger Grapefruit because it has such an energizing and uplifting smell to help power this tired mama along (still waiting for my little miss to sleep through the night!). And we have a happy papa here too because he has been grabbing for the Ginger Grapefruit first as well.
Take my #PureBodyChallenge and look up the ingredients of your favorite personal care products. You might be switching to something much safer very soon! Might I suggest Earth Mama Angel Baby as a safe alternative!
Earth Mama Angel Baby products can be purchased directly on Amazon!
I received these products as part of the #EarthMama Blogger Ambassador Campaign in which I am a financially compensated blog ambassador for Earth Mama Angel Baby. All opinions are my own and based on my own experience. This post contains affiliate links.
Peace, Love & Nipple Butter,