I switched to cloth menstrual pads, affectionately known as “mama cloth”, during the postpartum period. I had never heard of them prior to getting pregnant but stumbled upon them while researching cloth diapers for my daughter. Since using cloth menstrual pads I’ll never go back to disposables! The comfort can’t be beat and I love avoiding the chemicals in the uncomfortable plastic-y feeling disposable pads.
I think most women who aren’t sure about switching to cloth menstrual pads hesitate because they don’t know how to wash them or what to do with them after they’ve been used and are waiting for laundry day. Hopefully this can help you learn a little more about how easy and great they are to use!
Cloth Menstrual Pad Wash & Care Routine
1. Store clean cloth pads in a place where they will be protected from other bathroom products getting on them. I use a basket under the sink.
2. After use rinse the pad in cold water. If you are out of your home you can simply store it in a small wet bag and rinse upon your return. I run mine under cold water and keep squeezing until the rinse is clear. Ring out any excess water.
3. Store dirty pads in a wet bag. There are extra small wet bags which make leaving the house easy and discreet. I have one that easily fits right in my purse. At home I put them in a wet bag that I keep right next to the sink so I can put it in there right after rinsing. You can buy the perfect size wetbags here.
4. Wash in cool or warm water with a detergent free of enzymes. Skip bleach, vinegar, and fabric softeners as those can affect the life and absorbancy of cloth pads. I usually wash mine with our towels, cloth diapers, or dark laundry depending on what is next in line to be washed.
5. Tumble dry on low or medium heat. Avoid dryer sheets as they can cause build up on the pads and affect absorbancy.
There you go, just 5 simple steps! I promise that they are easy to care for and you will love the comfort.
Pink Lemonade Shop Review
My favorite brand of cloth menstrual pads is sold by Pink Lemonade Shop. I purchased a set of their postpartum pads for use after my daughter was born and they were so soft and luxurious feeling. I was so bummed when I got my first postpartum period because I was hoping to not have to worry about it while exclusively breastfeeding but it showed up after 5 months much to my dismay. Since most of my cloth pad stash was of postpartum sized pads I was excited to get a few smaller ones for review and chose a 9″ Minky Day Pad, (2) 8″ Minky Light Pads, and a 7.5″ Raw Silk Regular Pantyliner.
All of the pads are backed with Water Resistant Windpro Fleece which is awesome for preventing leak through and giving a nice grip on the panty so it doesn’t slide. The Minky pads also have an absorbent Bamboo Fleece core. And they really do absorb! During my cold rinse after wearing it takes a good amount of squeezing until I get a clear rinse. I’m very impressed with how these pads pull in and hold a good amount of flow.
If you are just getting started with cloth pads then check out the Mama Cloth Pad Sets that Pink Lemonade Shop offers. This is a great way to purchase a few different sizes to see what you like best. I use my postpartum pads for overnight use and have never had a problem with leaking. On my heaviest day which is usually day 2 for me I’ll wear one during the day as well but I look forward to trying one of the 10″ Heavy Pads in the future as I continue to build my stash. After the heaviest flow is over the 9″ and 8″ pads worked great for day time use. And the 7.5″ silk pantyliner was the perfect size for the light spotting near the end.
Fabric wise, the minky pads are super soft and really comfortable. Minky fabric does not stain and I found that it pulled everything in to the core very easily. The silk fabric was similar feeling to a cotton in my opinion, but I’m no fabric expert. It showed more on the surface but had no problems with staining. Actually the purple fleece that backed it ran a little bit and gave it a pretty light purple tint (but did not affect anything else in the laundry!) I also have cotton pads made by other brands but I’d have to say that the Pink Lemonade Minky pads of the few different sizes that I have them in are my favorite!
If you are interested in purchasing Pink Lemonade Shop cloth pads then please visit their website!
Connect With Pink Lemonade on Social Media for giveaways, sales and stockings!
Pink Lemonade Shop is generously giving away a $25 Gift Certificate to one of you. This giveaway is open Worldwide! By entering you agree to the Terms & Conditions at the bottom of the Rafflecopter form.
mama pure is not responsible for prize fulfillment. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram or any other social media outlet.
Disclosure: I was sent these products in exchange for my honest review. This post contains affiliate links.