I’ve been loving making homemade body products recently. With homemade products I can completely control the ingredients and customize them to my liking which means no crazy, synthetic chemicals.
Using high quality ingredients makes for a better product. I had the opportunity to review Organic Unrefined African Shea Butter from Key West Health & Beauty in exchange for this post. Though there are many brands of shea butter available, I really like that Key West Health & Beauty is Certified Organic and is sourced from a women’s co-op in Ghana so I know the workers are being paid fair wages and treated ethically.
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 3/4 cup Organic, Unrefined Shea Butter
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Electric Mixer
- Mixing Bowl
- Glass Jar & Small Saucepan
- Storage container that holds at least 2/3 cup
- Place your coconut oil and organic, unrefined shea butter into the glass jar (this makes for easier cleanup!). Fill the saucepan with water and place the jar with ingredients inside to create a double-boiler to melt the coconut oil and shea butter together.
- Once fully melted, pour the mixture in to a mixing bowl (left, below). Place it in to the refrigerator to cool until it is opaque (middle, below). The amount of time may vary. For me, it takes about 45 minutes in my stainless steel bowl.
- Next, remove the bowl and get your electric mixer ready. Whip the mixture until it look light and fluffy (right, below). Use a spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom to make sure all of the lotion has been lifted from the bowl.
- Now it is time to add the essential oils. I used 30 drops of Peppermint and 15 drops of Tea Tree. You could safely use up to 80 drops of oils of your choice in this recipe which would yield a 2% dilution.
- Whip the mixture together again for about a minute then transfer to your storage container. This recipe yields about 2/3 cup of finished product.
You can certainly use the foot balm right away but it will harden to a semi-solid texture as it sits at room temperature. It is easily scooped with a finger to apply and melt within seconds of being rubbed on skin. Apply socks right after applying the foot balm as it takes time to soak in to skin.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.