Fall is when deep, rich colors come out in nature and it makes for beautiful scenery for outside photography. Since we live in the mountains we are surrounded by these vibrant colors for several weeks as the leaves change. It is absolutely gorgeous! Use these natural changes to your advantage when styles your fall family photos.
Tips on Styling Fall Family Photos
- Look to nature for your color palate. Deep yellows, oranges, and reds will really pop in your photos and blend nicely with an outdoor background. I was inspired by burgundy and mustard for our photos. We also added in navy blue because it is pleasing to the eye and looks great on all skin tones.
- Mix prints. Plaids and florals are really popular right now. Have fun with your outfits by mixing prints between family members. I’m crazy for florals and I totally fell in love with this body suit. I was very excited when I found a complementary pair of jeggings so that my daughter could wear floral as well. My husband wore plaid that incorporated colors from all of our outfits and our son wore an adorable navy sweater with minimal design.
- Coordinate colors. For really eye catching photos coordinate colors between all of your outfits. Not everyone needs to be wearing every color in your palate but it joins the photo together nicely when family members are sharing some colors with one another rather than being completely matchy-matchy, know what I mean?
- Start with one outfit and build off of it. I knew that I was going to be the hardest person to dress because I fully admit that I’m a difficult shopper. I chose the items in my outfit first and then styled my other family members based off of the colors that I would be wearing. I LOVE how rich the burgundy maxi photographed and that I was able to coordinate that shade in to my daughter’s jeggings and my husband’s button-down shirt.
- Go light on accessories. You’ll want to make sure that you can easily interact, pose, and walk to different backgrounds. Light jewelry, some hair accessories, and neutral but stylish shoes will ensure a complete look that won’t overpower the desired end result which is capturing the love of your family on film.
Thank you to the fabulous Jessica from Valor & Vine Photography for our beautiful family photos. If you are looking for amazing photos in the Poconos, PA area then I highly recommend her!